Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Eggplant Non-Meatballs

So I thought I'd do a couple product reviews today.  A majority of the groceries I buy are of the Whole Foods 365 organic brand (these are way cheaper than most organic brands and are awesome quality), but there are a few other staples I love and buy almost on a weekly basis.  First off, I don't like most of the "meat substitutes" on the market.  They have a million ingredients and nine out of ten times that includes soy, probably gmo soy at that.  I do, however, like the Field Roast line.  Especially the Italian sausage and the breakfast sausage they came out with fairly recently.  The ingredients are minimal and, more importantly, recognizable.  I've used the Italian sausage in everything from lasagna and stuffed mushrooms, to over quinoa with braised kale and roasted sweet potatoes (one of my go-to meals I'll be sharing soon).  Probably the only thing I don't like is that they aren't organic, but beggars can't be choosers I guess!  The breakfast sausage is sweet and savory at the same time, since it has maple syrup in it, and my daughter loves these on an english muffin to bring for school lunch.  They're also fantastic for breakfast along side some crispy home fries and a chickpea flour (besan) omelet.  I saw they just came out with a vegan cheese made from coconut milk in a few different flavors.  So anxious to give them a try considering I'm not a big fan of Daiya, not only because of the taste, but that it's mostly oil.  The only vegan cheese I seem to like are the ones from Kite Hill and Treeline.  Treeline cashew cheese just came out with two new flavors as well and one is chipotle!!  So excited for anything chipotle!  Their Garlic & Herb cheese is also great for stuffed mushrooms, or on pizza, or anywhere the recipe calls for goat cheese since it has a similar texture.

This rainy chilly weather, along with a tad extra stress the past few weeks, makes me crave comfort foods like no body's business.  Good thing I'm training for my first 5 mile run next month so I can easily eat these in abundance with no guilt.  What says comfort more than spaghetti and meatballs, or maybe soup and grilled avocado samiches, or maybe mac n' cheez with butternut squash.  I'll get to those sooner rather than later for sure.

Today's recipe is for Eggplant Non-Meatballs and is one I've been making almost on a weekly basis.  This is mainly because they are pretty simple to throw together, I almost always have enough for leftovers, and the kids absolutely love them.  My 2 year old especially! :)  This recipe was adapted from a recipe I saw from Mark Bittman and I have since changed it up a bit.  Basically I've added more eggplant (who doesn't love more eggplant, right?!) to the recipe as well as more breadcrumbs and replaced the parsley with fresh basil.  I love these over pasta or on a roll with some cashew cheese, extra basil, and sauce.  I had the leftovers today over spaghetti squash and a generous amount of almond parm.  Yum!!  I roasted the squash at 400 degrees F for approximately 45 minutes to an hour after cutting it in half lengthwise and scooping out the seeds.  Perfection!


Eggplant Non-Meatballs

-2 medium eggplants (peeled, unless organic, and cut into 1 inch cubes)
-1/2 to 3/4 cups water
-1 teas salt
-cracked pepper to taste
-3 cloves crushed garlic
-1 onion chopped
-1 13oz package cannellini beans (I try to not buy beans or tomatoes in cans and Whole Foods carries them without)
-1/2 cup fresh basil
-1/ 1/2 to 2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
-large pinch red chili flakes

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

In a large pan saute onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent.  Remove from pan and put in a large bowl, set aside.  In the same pan add a little more olive oil, eggplant, and water.  Cook over medium high, stir often until all the eggplant is cooked through.  Add cooked eggplant to the bowl of a food processor along with beans, basil, chili, salt, and pepper.  Pulse several times until combined, but not fully pureed.  Add mixture to the large bowl with the onion/garlic and breadcrumbs.  Stir together.  Oil a large cookie sheet.  Form balls, with wet hands to avoid sticking, and place on the cookie sheet.  Bake 20 minutes, turn using a butter knife to carefully pry, and cook another 20 minutes.





No comments:

Post a Comment