Thursday, October 16, 2014

Mediteranean Kale Salad

I don't know about all of you, but I absolutely love this time of year!  The food, the fashion (boots anyone?), the colors, the smell in the air, and the over all feeling that's hard to describe.  There's an array of color outside my window as we speak and it makes me want to do all those fun fall activities with the kids.  Of course pumpkin picking comes to mind and I've been dying to check out that corn maze up the street.  Anything that is remotely like a Labyrinth has me immediately intrigued.  I'm sure this is do to the millions of times I've watched the Jim Henson movie with that namesake.  It has to be one of my absolute favorites and my daughter loves it too!  Yaaaaay, I've accomplished something as a parent!  Just heard they are contemplating making a second one and I think I may be a little too excited about it.  Anyway, I'll let you know how the corn maze goes next time, unless we get lost that is.  Muhahaha :)

In this post I want to address raising vegan children, since I get asked this quite often.  My kids are mostly vegan, not that it's an effing purity contest or anything.  I'll let them decide for themselves after teaching them what I know in the most gentle manor I can.  If it were solely up to me they would be completely vegan since birth (I wish I was), but their father is not, so that makes it a tad difficult.  Pretty much the only time they do eat meat or dairy is when fed by their grandparents and in social situations.  My 6 year old is, however, beginning to make her own decisions when it comes to both of these.  A few months ago while riding in the car with her uncle she exclaimed, "if you love animals then why do you eat them?"  I was so very proud, but I also think most children would have the same logic.  I do have to say they, without a doubt, eat more healthily than most kids.  No disliking greens in this house because kale salad is a fav for all!  Most children in America eat pizza, chicken nuggets, and macaroni and cheese as staples in their diet with occasional veggies, mostly forced.   I think its important they get used to eating a wide variety of vegetables early on so they continue to like them.  I've always been a fan of feeding my kids the same food I'm eating as early as possible.  Not only do I know exactly what's in their food, but I know they are getting all the right nutrients.

A friend who was switching to a plant based diet recently asked me how to make sure they are given the adequate nutrients required and my own mother questions this quite often as well.  I think the biggest concerns seem to be, calcium, protein, iron, B12, and vitamin D.  These are, for the most part, easily given through plant based foods and are mostly more absorbable too!  Most almond milks have more calcium than dairy to start.  Plus, dark leafy greens, broccoli, beans, nuts, and molasses are chock full of calcium.  Protein, well, I almost feel like skipping this one since it's so easy, but here goes.  Beans beans the magical fruit people!!  Besides that, quinoa, other whole grains, peas, nuts, seeds, leafy greens again, and soy.  Iron, for sure peas and lentils, but also most the protein sources already mentioned.  B12, ok, I'll admit, this is a little tricky, but I haven't had an issue since I use a ton of nutritional yeast in my cooking (who wouldn't want to anyway) and I give the kids foods fortified with B12 as well.   Most lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats, and large chu.........., sorry Monty Python reference.  No, but really, breakfast cereals are fortified with B12 and so are many soy products.   I do give my kids a multi-vitamin for good measure too, but so do most people, vegan or not.  Vitamin D is easy as well, since fortified orange juice, almond milk, and cereals all contain plenty.  Along with a daily dose of sunlight, (get those kiddies outside peeps!!!) they'll be golden.

Today's recipe is one that is very easy and very versatile.  I originally made it as a kale caesar, but have since changed it up many times.  The recipe I will be writing today has kalamata olives and grape tomatoes and is served over quinoa, but I sometimes put only croutons (for the caesar), or roasted peppers instead of the tomatoes.  I've also added roasted sweet potatoes on occasion because I think they make everything better.




Mediterranean Kale Salad

-1 large or 2 small bunches curly kale
-1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
-1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced or halved
-1 recipe almond parm
- freshly ground pepper

Almond Parm

-1 cup raw almonds 
-2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1/2 tsp salt

Put in food processor and process until very fine.  

Dressing (I kinda eyeball this usually)

-Juice from 1 large lemon
-1/4 cup olive oil
-1/4 cup balsamic
-1 clove garlic
-1 tsp worstershire (Annie's makes a vegan one)
-2 tsp dijon mustard 

Blend or process all ingredients well. You will only use about half to 3/4 of the dressing depending on your preference. 

Chop kale by holding a tight handful at a time to the cutting board and chop, turn and chop again.  Add parm and dressing to finely chopped kale in a large bowl.  Season with freshly ground pepper. Massage kale for a minute or two.  Add halved grape tomatoes and chopped kalamata olives, toss.  Serve over quinoa cooked to package directions.  I cook my quinoa with vegetable broth for a little extra flavor.  


No comments:

Post a Comment